Take steps to control your personal information:
- Always be alert and check your statements and bills regularly. Set up account alerts to notify you of any unusual activity.
- Monitor your credit with an annual free credit report
- Place freezes on your credit report. Freezing your credit can cost anywhere from $0 to $10 at each bureau. Proven identity theft victims can have this fee waived. (If you need to lift the freeze you will have to pay the same fee.)
- Place a fraud alert on your credit report by calling one of the credit bureaus. That credit report agency will alert the other two credit bureaus. This is a FREE service and it will last for 90 days.
- Purchase Identity Theft Protection - Identity theft protection companies help consumers monitor their financial accounts and personal information by sending alerts on potential fraud.