Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information without your permission to commit fraud or to get credit in your name. Anyone can become a victim of identity theft so reduce the risk by following these simple guidelines:
- Store your Social Security card, financial documents, and unused credit cards in a secure location.
- Never provide sensitive information on a call that you did not initiate.
- Shred documents that contain personal or financial information before discarding. This is the time to take advantage of our FREE Shred Days. Check our events calendar for upcoming Shred Days.
- Review your credit report at least once a year to look for unauthorized accounts that are opened in your name. Receive a free credit report once a year from each of the three major credit bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- If you access your financial account online or shop online, make sure the website is secure. Secure sites have an "s" after http and there will be a padlock on their web bar.
- Monitor your transactions online regularly and report suspicious charges promptly. Consider paperless options for your bill and financial statements.